
I took my first dance class at 15, pretty late in life as dancers go. I was fortunate enough to find Karen Herbert(pronounced A-bear). She ran a dance studio not far from where i went to school. It wasn't just any old dancing school though. Her studio actually had enough men enrolled that they had men-only ballet, tap and jazz classes. Ms. Karen was a constant source of inspiration both in class and in my personal life.
Despite the fact that Ms. Karen was a lesbian, she had a daughter named Pam Bolling. Pam was always very busy with touring as she was and is to this day one of the best ballroom dancers in the world. Her talent doesn't stop there though. She also judges and teaches many other competitions in her spare time. I believe she is also the choreographer for the Orlando Magic.
Pam would come to New Orleans about 2 or 3 times a year to teach at her mother's studio. She would usually teach a master class and if there was time after that, she would teach a mens only class. Her passion for dance and life was infectious. She demanded nothing less than perfection but always was fair and fun in class.
Outside of dance, Pam lives every day like it's her last. She treats others with respect and spreads her special brand of positive thinking wherever she goes. If only I had more Pam Bolling in NYC, i might not be such a cynical twat.
No comments:
Post a Comment