Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Vadie Turner



I had drinks with Vadie last night at my apartment and we got to talking about my little experiment. She was very encouraging so i figured why not delete her next?

Vadie and I met in college through Liz Ligon and Ashley Horne. This group of energetic girls were all from "Nash-vegas" and had a special southern spark about them that instantly drew me in. They all had attended Harpeth Hall, an elite prep school for girls. Being the star fucker that i was at the time, i remember asking Vadie, "Oh wow! Isn't that where Reece Witherspoon went?" Despite my classless outburst, we became friends anyway.

I loved to visit her at her art studio while we were in school. I can't draw a straight line with a ruler so I was happy to be around someone with so much artistic talent. Her studio was grouped with many other artists at the School of Fine Arts. I remember thinking that it was a magical place that i would never truly understand. She was kind enough to give me a large canvas painting of her studio. It hangs over my bed to this day and is one of my most prized possessions.

She was my first visitor when I moved into my studio on the Upper East Side five years ago. I didn't know a lot of people in the city and i had just emerged from a very difficult relationship. I'm not sure she knows how much that little visit meant to me. It made me feel less alone and very loved. She brought strawberries and chocolate as a house warming gift and we had English tea.

On our second pot of tea, Vadie told me to sit down and she would take care of boiling the water. She accidentally turned on the wrong burner and burned a hole in a wooden cutting board. I call it art.

Vadie has an uncanny ability to brighten your day. She's every bit as beautiful on the inside as she is out and when she talks to you, she makes you feel like you're the only person in the room. She's easy to love and hard to dislike. She's a woman you want to spend the rest of your life with and i hope to do just that. I'm proud i can call her friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment