
Some boys played football. Some played soccer. I swam.
Everyone has a rival. Mine was Billy Coleman.
Billy was always taller, bigger and just flat out faster than me. In the 10 years that Billy and i swam against one another, i never once won a race. But gosh darnit, it wasn't for lack of trying.
On a humid summer afternoon in what was quite literally the swamps of Louisiana, Billy and I climbed up on the starting blocks to race the 50 yard fly. I remember thinking to my 12 year old self, "Billy looks the best of any of the boys in his speedo but i WILL WIN THIS RACE!"
In those days, a race started with a pistol. As soon as I heard the crack of the gun, i knew this was my race to win. It was in my pool on my turf. On the 2nd lap, it was neck and neck. Right before the flags, i gave one final surge of energy into my body and slammed my hands into the wall. We both touched the wall at the exact same time.
Unfortunately, i dislocated my wrist and had to be rushed to the emergency room.
Who won the race? Billy, of course.
No comments:
Post a Comment