
The gorgeous Coleen and I went to grade school together. I was in love with her until I left for college. Oh who am I kidding? I wasn't in love with her so much as i wanted to be her. She was not only beautiful but she had the perfect family. Her mom and sister were equally as lovely and their dad was quite handsome as well.
One night after swim practice, while I was changing in the locker room of Elmwood Fitness Center, the picture perfect dream of the Kenny's came to an abrupt end. Coleen's dad was one row over from me in the locker room and I overheard his conversation with one of his work out partners. Mr. Kenny bragged openly about his extra marital affairs. In fact, he went into graphic detail about these exploits. My heart sank. I wanted to tell her, to tell anyone, but I knew I couldn't.
That night, while gathered around the dinner table, my mom asked me what was wrong. I told her what I had learned and we both grieved for Coleen and what her family would have to endure.
Coleen's parents divorced. I'm glad it's not a secret anymore. It feels good after almost 20 years.
No comments:
Post a Comment